22 May 2014

The One Where I attempt to bake a cake

My baby boy turned 4 last week and he requested a cake "with colours and lollies" (try interpret that)! I got onto google with him and I finally figured out the the lollies are M & M's and the colours were coloured layers. He wanted a rainbow cake but let's face it, I'm a novice when it comes to baking. My mum is the dessert queen and I usually leave this sort of thing to her, but she put her foot down and told me I had to learn!!! WHATTT!


So I got onto the Recipe Community and started looking for the perfect batter recipe. Those who don't know, the Recipe Community is a site purely dedicated to Thermomix recipes. I decided to use this recipe. I got mixing and did 3 lots. One blue, one red and one yellow as Mr 4 requested. The cake turned out perfectly.

I wanted something different to the standard buttercream icing, so I decided to make a Creme Patisserie to put between the layers and whipped cream to cover the cake.

I'm pretty happy with the outcome and I was told it looked good and tasted great. Perhaps they were feeding my ego but I was happy that Mr 4 was happy and that's all that matters.






I've included the Thermomix recipe and a few links and conversions for none thermomix users

THERMOMIX 

Butter Cake 

Ingredients
165 g raw sugar
125 g butter
2 eggs
5 g vanilla essence (I used extract)
230 g self raising flour
125 g milk

Directions
1.    Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
2.    Grease and line cake tin. Recipe will fill standard 20cm cake tin
3.    Add sugar to the bowl. Mill for 10 – 20 secs speed 6
4.    Add butter and mix on speed 3 for 2 – 3 minutes or until light
5.    Add eggs one at a time until incorporated.
6.    Add remaining ingredients
7.    Mix on speed 6 for 1 minute or until mixture becomes smooth. (I added the colours at the end of this step)
8.    Pour into cake tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean
9.    Allow to cool


Creme Patisserie

Ingredients
80 g sugar
50 g plain flour
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
500 g milk

Directions
1.    Add sugar and flour in the bowl and blitz on speed 9 for 10 seconds
2.    Add remaining ingredients and cook on 90 degrees for 7 minutes on speed 4
3.    Leave to cool and remove any skin that may form


Whipped Cream 

Ingredients 
600 g thickened cream

Directions
Please follow the instructions from the Everyday Cookbook

To Assemble

1.     Allow the cake layers and Creme Patisserie to cool.
2.     Use a bread knife level the layers of the cake
3.     Take 1 layer and spread the Creme Patisserie over it to desired thickness
4.     Before you place the second layer use a circle cookie cutter or glass or blow of desired size and make a hole in it. Then place it on top of the first layer.
5.     Add M & M's into the whole
6.     Spread the Creme Patisserie over the top
7.     Place the third layer on top of it
8.     Go around the cake and fill in gaps between the layers with the Creme Patisserie
9.     Grab the whipped cream and start spreading it all over the cake until you're happy with the     consistency and look of it
10.   Decorate as desired


STANDARD VERSION

Butter Cake

Ingredients
165 g castor sugar
125 g butter
2 eggs
5 g vanilla essence (I used extract)
230 g self raising flour
125 g milk

Directions
1.    Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
2.    Grease and line cake tin. Recipe will fill standard 20cm cake tin
3.    Cream Sugar and Butter in a bowl with an electric mixer
4.    Add eggs one at a time until incorporated
5.    Add remaining ingredients and mix until you get a smooth mixture
6.    Pour into cake tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean
7.    Allow to cool

Creme Patisserie

I wound this version on youtube which seems quite simple to some others that I stumbled across

Whipped Cream

Ingredients 
600 g thickened cream

Directions
Place the thickened cream in a bowl and mix in with an electric mixer on medium speed until the cream thickens

Do you enjoy baking?


 photo Screenshot2014-04-28at51042PM_zps752d102f.png

2 comments:

  1. This looks lovely and pretty easy too. I will bookmark it
    Carolyn Desire Empire blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...