13 April 2014

50 Uses for Coconut Oil

Hi my name is Nikky and I'm a coconut oil addict.

I discovered coconut oil about a year ago when I started to get an interest in healthy eating. I went out and bought it, put it in my pantry cupboard and forgot about it. A month later I had to bake a cake for my son to take to daycare for his birthday and to my horror I realised that I forgot to buy the butter. It was late in the evening, cold and raining and I almost gave up and then I remembered that I had the coconut oil. I figured I could use that in place of the butter and if it failed, well then at least I tried. But to my surprise it worked. Perfectly at that and I haven't looked back since.

Coconut oil is easily accessible nowdays and can be purchased at Woolworths, Coles, Healthfood Stores, Online and Costco. I personally buy mine at Costco for $14 for 900g which I think is a great price.


My love affair with coconut oil keeps growing stronger, so here are my 50 way to use it today. 

  1. Apply as a deep conditioner for your hair.   Just leave it on for 5-10 minutes, and your hair will be shiny and hydrated.  Just be sure to rinse thoroughly!
  2. Use in place of serum to eliminate frizzy hair.
  3. Rub into the skin to soften rough and dry patches.
  4. Add about a teaspoon to your hot chocolate for a subtle flavour
  5. Use to polish stainless steel appliances by applying with a cloth in soft circular motions.
  6. Use as a makeup remover.  It’s particularly great for taking off eye makeup.
  7. Add some to your smoothies
  8. Treat psoriasis and eczema with it. (My daughter get’s eczema whenever she get’s sick and coconut oil works wonders)
  9. Aid digestion and eliminate heartburn by consuming one tablespoon.
  10. Use it to soften cuticles.
  11. Give yourself an at-home pedicure, and apply coconut oil as a foot cream.
  12. Use as a nappy rash cream alternative.
  13. Exfoliate your lips by mixing some coconut oil with brown or regular sugar.  Scrub gently for smooth soft lips.
  14. Use it to heal cracked heels and elbows.
  15. Apply it to alleviate razor burn.
  16. Use it to heal cuts and scratches.
  17. Use it in place of shaving cream.
  18. Conceal split ends by adding just a tiny bit to the ends of your hair.
  19. Take a spoonful for an instant boost of energy. (my daughter loves to eat coconut oil)
  20. Add it to your diet to naturally control insulin levels.
  21. Nursing moms can use it as a substitute for Lanolin cream.
  22. Gently rub a tiny bit onto your lashes as a moisturizing overnight treatment for your eyelashes.
  23. Dab some on the skin around your nose to keep it from getting chapped when you have a cold.
  24. Use it to relieve itchy mosquito bites.
  25. Apply it to your brows after tweezing or waxing to soothe irritation and redness.
  26. Try it as a replacement for vegetable oil in baked goods.
  27. Rub some into the skin daily to fade age spots.
  28. Apply a bit to your child’s elbow and knee scrapes to soothe them and help them to heal more quickly.
  29. Massage liberally into hair and leave it in overnight after your hair has been color treated and processed to help repair damage.
  30. Massage over acne scars 1-2 times per day to help them fade.
  31. Apply it to cold sores to help them heal quickly.
  32. Massage into your scalp to help stimulate hair growth.
  33. Take a tablespoon daily to relieve acid reflux.
  34. Take it orally to reduce hunger.
  35. Take it orally to help reduce the risk of heart disease.
  36. Add it to your diet to help reduce abdominal fat.
  37. Dab some coconut oil on your wrists to relieve nausea.
  38. Massage it into your temples to relieve a migraine.
  39. Take it to prevent osteoporosis, as it helps the body to better absorb calcium and magnesium.
  40. Rub it on your feet to get rid of Athlete’s Foot.
  41. Exfoliate your face and body by mixing some coconut oil with baking soda or sugar and massaging it gently into your skin.
  42. Apply it to a ringworm infection to heal it more quickly. (The things kids pick up at daycare)
  43. Apply some to the inside of your nose when it is feeling dry to prevent discomfort and nose bleeds.
  44. Use in place of hemorrhoid cream.
  45. Take some orally before a workout to improve your stamina.
  46. Mix it with some clove oil to relieve a toothache.
  47. Use it as an eye cream.
  48. Apply a bit to an old rag and use it to polish furniture.
  49. Apply to bruises to help them heal more quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...